Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
* Aggressive new styling of the upper, side and center fairings and cockpit inner covers enhances aerodynamic efficiency and appearance
* Refinements to the shift ratchet assembly, shifting arm, return spring and collar result in reduced friction and less movement at the shift shaft pivot, for improved shifting feel and more positive gear changes
* A new, embossed metallic gray coating on the muffler complements the new bodywork
* A new, 18-position Öhlins steering damper uses additional spring and oil pistons for improved action; titanium color and a laser-etched logo enhance the bike's appearance
* Slightly longer throttle cables
inside a plastic throttle housing provide improved throttle action for even greater control
Four-Cylinder, DOHC 998cc Engine
* Very compact, narrow and lightweight design makes it possible to position the engine perfectly within the chassis for optimal weight distribution
* One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting saves weight and offers maximum rigidity
* Oil is routed through channels milled into the cases on various parts of the engine, eliminating external oil lines and reducing weight
* Stacked, triangular layout of crank axis, input shaft and output shaft reduces engine length and aids mass centralization for quick handling
* Lightweight crankshaft maintains the same inertial moment as a heavier design but saves about two pounds compared to a conventional crank
* Low friction oil pump reduction ratio reduces parasitic power loss
* Water pump uses the same type impeller as the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14, with pump rpm optimized for reduced friction
* A lightweight Denso radiator with tightly packed cores provides the most efficient engine cooling possible
* Specially designed internal fins on the liquid-cooled, aluminum oil cooler promote high-efficiency heat dissipation
* Intake ports, exhaust ports and matched combustion chambers are designed for optimum flow efficiency and high top-end power
* Exhaust ports that are narrower at the midpoint and larger at the opening promote high exhaust velocity and efficient scavenging
* Intake and exhaust valves are titanium for reduced reciprocating weight and higher rpm capabilities
* High-lift camshafts are designed to deliver more power at high rpm and make it easier to tune the engine for racing
* Secondary fuel injectors improve top-end power output and power characteristics at high rpm. Lower injectors are always on, upper injectors come on as needed according to degree of throttle opening and engine rpm
* Oval cross-sectioned throttle bodies allow very precise throttle control and instant response
* A highly efficient, center-located Ram Air intake duct is shaped for lower intake noise and higher intake efficiency
* Use of a compact, flat-type fuel pump that takes up less fuel tank space leaves room for a large, efficient airbox
* Oval-section intake funnels promote non-turbulent flow at all rpm
* Kawasaki Ignition Management System (KIMS) helps curtail sudden spikes in engine speed, enhancing the rider's control of power delivery
* In addition to standard fuel injection system inputs (engine speed, throttle position, vehicle speed, gear position, intake air temperature, intake air pressure, engine temperature and O2 sensors), KIMS monitors the rate of rpm change every 0.02 seconds
* Designed not to interfere with the rider's intentions, the complex ECU program assumes all rider inputs are intentional. However, when a change in engine speed exceeds the predicted response for given parameters, KIMS will slow the ignition timing to reduce power
* Adjustment of KIMS parameters is possible with an accessory racing (circuit-use only) kit installed
* An exhaust pre-chamber under the engine reduces exhaust noise, minimizes silencer volume and enhances mass centralization for maximum flickability
* A palladium catalyzer helps the ZX-10R meet strict Euro-III exhaust emissions standards
* A single orthogonal, titanium silencer with a new, black finish keeps the center of gravity low and improves exhaust efficiency
* Modifications to the shift mechanism further enhance quick, positive gear changes
* Gear ratios suit the power characteristics for ideal power delivery in all rpm ranges
* Final reduction ratio of 17/41 intensifies the ZX-10R's already awe-inspiring acceleration
* An adjustable back-torque limiting clutch facilitates smooth downshifts, a main contributor to stability under heavy braking
* Unique twin-spar aluminum frame features an optimized stiffness balance through a mixture of materials, shapes and thicknesses for superior handling and bump absorption
* Ribbing on the interior of the pivot plate where it joins the frame's upper cross member slightly slows down the frame's feedback for highly accurate steering feel
* Swingarm pivot located to aid with the front-rear weight balance
* Lightweight, two-piece, aluminum die-cast sub-frame is mounted to the frame's upper cross member, so rear suspension feedback is transmitted more directly to the rider
* Narrow sub-frame layout contributes to the compact and slim tail section
* A pressed-beam swingarm delivers a level of feel and feedback unobtainable with a cast unit
* A top-mounted swingarm brace contributes to the superb high-speed stability of the chassis
* DLC (Diamond-like Carbon) fork tube coating on the fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork sliders improves fork action by providing reduced friction, smoother action and better road holding
* Bottom-mounted springs are completely submerged in oil for reduced frothing, improved damping performance, superior fork action and road-following ability
* A four-way adjustable rear shock features dual (low- and high-speed) compression damping as well as rebound damping and spring preload adjustment - allowing the fine tuning required for racing
* Kawasaki Genuine Accessory shims are available for quick rear ride height changes at the track
Race-quality Steering Damper
* A new 18-position adjustable Öhlins steering damper is fitted as standard equipment to help ensure stable front end feedback even under racing conditions
* Tokico radial-mount brake calipers use dual pads for superb initial bite, increased control and progressive feel
* A radial-pump front master cylinder provides the ultimate in front brake feel and feedback
* A pair of 5.5mm thick, 310mm petal discs provides the heat dissipation needed to maintain brake feel and responsiveness during extended heavy use
* A 220mm rear petal disc gripped by a single-piston caliper provides excellent feel and feedback
* Squeeze-cast wheels offer precise dimensions with less wall thickness and weight, yet are stiffer than gravity-cast units
* The Kawasaki NinjaZX-10R's rear frame, tank and seat offer high levels of contact with the bike and provide the rider very accurate feedback regarding chassis performance and road surface
* A flared fuel tank top makes it easier for riders to rest the inside of their arm on the tank when leaning into a turn for increased comfort and enhanced feedback
* Narrow in the front and shorter, front to back, for a slimmer riding position, the seat offers a shorter reach to the pavement and excellent chassis feedback
* A rib on the end of throttle tube, under the grip, improves grip and feel
* Slimmer than ever in new aerodynamic bodywork, the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R is designed to slice through the atmosphere cleanly at high speed with minimal turbulence
* The front fender aids cooling efficiency by directing air toward the radiator
* A recess on the top of the fuel tank accommodates the helmet's chin, so it's easier to tuck-in behind the windscreen at speed
* High mounting position of mirrors, with integrated turn signals, provides excellent rearward visibility and helps to minimize damage if the bike falls over
* The flush surface of the tail's underside reduces turbulence at the rear of the bike and ensures laminar airflow around the seat
* A large, rear inner fender keeps the bike cleaner and allows the mud flap to be smaller and less obtrusive, further improving aerodynamic qualities around the rear of the machine
* Mirrors, license plate holder and rear turn signals are easily removable for track day prep
* An LED tail light makes the bike more visible to drivers and provides the final styling flourish to the evocative Ninja design
Advanced Electronic Instrumentation
* The easy-to-read instrument cluster uses UV-blocking glass, for maximum visibility
* Multifunction odometer, tripmeter, clock and lap timer/stopwatch are all intuitively easy to use
* The ZX-10R's big tachometer "green zone" makes keeping the engine in the meatiest part of its massive powerband even easier
Open class sportbikes are all about power, and the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja® ZX™-10R continues to set the pace, on track and off. The formula is simple, but the execution is critical: The ZX-10R offers tremendous horsepower, but delivers it with refined controllability through a highly evolved aluminum frame rolling on top-shelf components developed on the track and refined for the street.
The 10R returns with a host of refinements for 2010. New more aerodynamic bodywork is designed to slice through the atmosphere cleanly at speed, and to look even better doing it. A new fairing with a stronger family resemblance to its ZX-6R sibling leads the way for the rest of the minimalist new plastic, and a new, dark gray embossed coating on the bike’s titanium muffler carries the light, slick theme rearward. Inside the cockpit, new inner covers reflect the high quality and performance of the rest of the ZX-10R package.
All that power needs to be kept in check, of course, and rider feedback has led to the fitment of a new, premium 18-position Öhlins steering damper. The new damper uses sophisticated internal circuitry, including pistons and springs, to keep the Ninja tracking straight and true under the most challenging conditions.
2010 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Technology
MAXIMUM RIDER EXCITEMENT
Designed to offer a high-level base package with the stock engine and chassis performance to satisfy even professional racers, the already potent Ninja ZX-10R receives some fine-tuning and a revised styling package for 2010.
To maximize rider excitement on the circuit, the Ninja ZX-10R offers the following qualities:
Delivering 192 PS with Ram Air and a super-wide powerband, the Ninja ZX-10R’s engine has a performance potential similar to Kawasaki factory superbike race machines.
Precise Engine Control
Engine settings and advanced technology like KIMS result in a silky smooth throttle response, ensuring a superb relationship between the rider’s wrist and the rear wheel. Power delivery is seamless and linear, facilitating control, yet the Ninja ZX-10R’s exhilarating engine feel, especially at high-rpm, is sure to have riders grinning in their helmets.
Highly responsive to rider input, the Ninja ZX-10R turns almost as quickly as a 600cc class machine. Confidence-inspiring front end, mid-corner stability, as well as the performance, control and feel offered by Kawasaki’s triple petal disc brake package all contribute to cornering pleasure.
Superb Rider Feedback
The combination of an ultra-high feedback chassis and tactile ergonomics result in a highly communicative package that enables the two-way dialog between man and machine that is required to ride at the highest level. The main frame, rear frame and swingarm were designed to transmit information to the rider. Ergonomics, especially the tank and seat, maximize the rider’s contact with the bike. The handlebar/seat/pegs relationship offers a naturally aggressive riding position, ideal for riding on the track.
Other Winning Features
Adding to the Ninja ZX-10R’s potent circuit potential are features like its highly acclaimed back-torque limiter and highly visible instrument cluster. For 2010, the 10R receives a new-design Öhlins steering damper, and revisions to the transmission shift mechanism offer improved shift touch.
Sharper New Styling
New front cowl gives the Ninja ZX-10R a stronger family resemblance to its smaller sibling, the Ninja ZX-6R. Revisions to the minimalist bodywork and a new muffler design contribute to a lighter looking appearance.
Imbued with technology tried and tested on Kawasaki racers, the Ninja ZX-10R shines on the track, especially on fast, flowing circuits. Although designed to offer maximum rider excitement on the circuit, the same qualities that enable its high circuit performance make it fun for sport riding on the street.
HIGH-POWERED ENGINE Dual injection
• Secondary fuel injectors contribute to top-end power output and power characteristics in the high-rpm range. While the lower injectors operate all the time, operation of the upstream injectors is determined by the degree of throttle opening and engine rpm.
Ram Air / Airbox
• The highly efficient, centrally mounted Ram Air intake duct was designed to reduce intake noise and improve intake efficiency. A passageway through the frame routes intake air from the Ram Air duct to either side of the steering head, giving the air a straight and very efficient path to the airbox.
• Large-volume airbox was possible thanks in part to a flat-type fuel pump (also used on the Ninja ZX-6R), which allowed fuel tank capacity to be maintained despite the additional space required for the secondary injectors.
• Oval intake funnels (velocity stacks) contribute to flow efficiency.
• Exhaust port shape designed for flow efficiency. This, and matching combustion chambers contribute to the high top-end power.
• Both intake and exhaust valves are titanium, reducing reciprocating weight.
• High-lift cams deliver more power at high rpm and make it easier to tune the engine for racing.
• Efficient exhaust system arrangement with pre-chamber and single right-side silencer contributes to the engine’s high power output.